Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year's Day 2020

New Year's Day deserved celebrating outdoors on a day that invited hiking and marveling!
We chose to hike the Coytee Loop Branch Trail on the East Lakeshore Trail System of Tellico Lake. 
We parked at the trailhead which has the large metal bridge over Sinking Creek. On a previous hike, we had crossed the bridge and hiked the Sinking Creek segment. But today we chose to take a lollipop hike.
The first part of the trail parallels the road and shoreline, but soon disappears into the woods. After about a mile of gentle hiking, we came to the intersection at the beginning of the loop. We chose to go left. No, I won't make a political statement! 
After about 1/2 mile of up and down through a mix of hardwoods, pines and cedars, I began to recognize some features. When we came upon the huge white oak, I knew that I had been on this trail before.  
 To capture the size of this giant, I had Chris stand beside it. 
 Notice the size of the branches. I wonder what story this old tree could tell! 
 There was no discernible crown. The lower branches were gnarled and twisted. 
What I recall from our previous hike on this loop trail was the numerous large oaks and hickories. Winter is a good time to hike the East Lakeshore trails: no ticks, bugs, poison ivy or heat. Plus, the hiker can catch glimpses of opposite shoreline without leaves blocking the view. However, most of the views across the lake are of large houses and boathouses. I bet the lake is noisy in the summer! Today was perfectly serene!
With the temperature in the upper 40s, the sunny day was perfect for taking a 3.5
 mile hike in a very lovely area. 

I must make a disclaimer/apology: I took most of the pictures with my iPhone. And the photo above is from a precious hike with friends to this spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment